OUR COUNCIL NAME
Rev. John F. Murphy, Council No. 1943, Mystic, CT
The Knights of Columbus Council in Mystic, Connecticut was named after a former pastor of St. Patrick’s Church, for the following reasons:
1. He was a very close friend of Rev. Michael McGivney, and his brother Rev. Patrick McGivney.
2. He spent about five years at St. Mary’s Seminary, in Baltimore, with McGivney, (1873 – 1877)
3. He was Pastor of St. John’s Church in Cromwell when the De Soto Council No. 6, was given a Charter, and was their first Chaplin, (1884).
4. He was asked to be a Sub-Deacon at McGivney’s Funeral, (1890).
5. He was assigned Pastor to St. Patrick’s Church, Mystic. (1895 – 1901), and the mission church of St. Mary’s in Stonington. (See Note No. 1)
6. He transferred his Knights of Columbus membership to the Nina, Council No. 43, Stonington, CT, in 1896
7. While a member of Nina Council No. 43, Brothers from the Mystic area increased after World War I, and a Charter was issued to Mystic, Council No. 1943, in April 1919
8. He was the first Mystic Parish Priest to be in the Knights of Columbus, (1901).
Those brothers in Council No. 43, living in the Mystic, West Mystic, Old Mystic, and the other Groton areas decided to apply for a Knights of Columbus Charter at St. Patrick’s Church in Mystic, and in April 1919 received their own Charter from the Supreme Council, two years after his death, (February 14, 1917).
It is believed that the above information was known, by the Charter Members of the Mystic Council, and possibly the Rev. Austin Dignam, also a Mystic Charter Member, who may have suggested the council to be named in honor of Rev. John F. Murphy.
1. St. Mary’s in Stonington started out in 1841 as a mission church, then in 1851 a parish, and again 1861 a mission church, under the church in Westerly. In 1871, it was placed under the pastor care of the Mystic church. On September 19, 1895, Father Murphy was assigned as Pastor of St. Patrick’s Church, he also assumed care for the Mission Church, St. Mary’s in Stonington. The Nina Council No. 43, was already established when he arrived. A year later he transferred his membership. His personal knowledge of McGivney was an asset to the growth of the council in Stonington, which resulted in the formation of a council in Mystic. In May 1901 it again got parish status. A month later Father Murphy was transferred
Father Murphy carried that fraternal spark
Father McGivney to the Brothers in Mystic
Rev. John F. Murphy Council No. 1943